The Lawrence Associates, Architects/ Planners, P.C., were given the challenge of designing a 58,000 sq.ft. elementary school that would be energy efficient, durable, inexpensive to maintain, aesthetically pleasing, fire safe, acoustically efficient, and most importantly, mold resistant. These requirements all had to be met within a very tight budget. Richard Lawrence, President and Project Architect for the Preston Veterans Memorial School, selected masonry construction for the project. He noted, “Masonry is the only material and type of construction that can provide all the building requirements requested by the owner.”
Built from over 94,545 square feet of granite, marble and quartzite, the new United Arab Emirates (UAE) Chancery in Washington, DC, stands out as one of our capital’s most extraordinary pieces of architecture. Built to house the offices of the UAE ambassador and diplomatic staff, the chancery exemplifies the use of contemporary design and technique while paying homage to Arab-Islamic heritage and culture.
Michigan’s new Hall of Justice is making a monumental architectural statement within Lansing’s State Capitol Complex, debuting after more than three decades of planning.
Lewis Towers is an 18-story high-rise built in 1926 and located on the prestigious north end of Chicago’s Michigan Avenue. The facade of the Neo-Gothic style building is primarily composed of dark reddish-brown coarsely textured face brick.
The architectural team from Sear-Brown faced several challenges during the design and construction of a new CVS Pharmacy Store in Chicago.
The University of Minnesota’s striking 230,000 square foot McNamara Alumni Center is fulfilling a 43-year-old dream on the Minneapolis campus. The $45 million Alumni Center, also know as the University of Minnesota Gateway, serves as an entry point for welcoming students, alumni, visitors, donors and families to the campus.
The new conferencing center at Detroit Metro Airport posed an interesting challenge for designer and former masonry camper, Mike Thompson. The owner, Detroit Regional Chamber, sought to create an “oasis” in the center of a main terminal lobby.
Later this year, Indiana will open the doors to one of the nation’s most innovative showplaces of history, art and science … its new State Museum. Nestled in the center of White River State Park in Indianapolis, the new cultural institution will depict the many “stories of Indiana.”
When the owners of Westminster Christian Academy began the process of renovating their outdated school building, they found Mitchell & Hugeback Architects to be the perfect partner for the project. Nick Walker, one of the Mitchell & Hugeback architects assigned to the project, was also a Westminster alumnus.
The Old Second National Bank building in Aurora, Illinois was constructed in 1925 and is included in the U.S. Department of Interior National Register of Historic Places. Architect George Grant Elmslie, who formerly worked with Louis Sullivan, designed the structure and the bas relief terra cotta ornamentation.