Masonry Camp is a nationally recognized design-build training program for architects and craftworkers. Through collaborative hands-on education, the program fosters innovation in masonry design and construction while improving communication between designers and builders.
Our next Camp takes place in early 2023. Check back for updates.
IMI provides a full program scholarship to all attendees, covering the cost of travel, lodging, food, and educational resources.
Masonry Camp attendees will have the opportunity to:
• Compete in a team design-build challenge.
• Get hands-on instruction related to materials, details, design trends, and more from IMI technical staff and IMTEF training instructors.
• Hear presentations from renowned architects
• Take behind-the-scenes tours of historic masonry structures in Washington, D.C.
Masonry Camp is open to the following candidates:
• Non-registered designers with 3-5 years of professional experience
• Architects newly registered in 2018 or after
• Members of the International Union of Bricklayers and Allied Craftworkers with 3-5 years of experience in at least one craft area
All participants must be 21 years or older.
The application process for the program is selective, with slots limited to a total of 21 architects and 21 craftworkers.
Applications for Masonry Camp 2020 are now closed. Selected participants have been notified.
To apply to participate, prospective architectural attendees had to submit an application form by December 15, 2019.
In addition to basic contact information, the application form requires upload of the following documents:
- Letter of interest that addresses what you hope to gain from your experience, why you are qualified to attend, and what qualities you possess that would add to a team effort
- Letter of recommendation from an employer or professor
Craftworkers are selected to attend based on recommendations made by BAC local union leadership.
See past attendees in action in our photo gallery!
Get updates on Masonry Camp and read about years’ past.
Designers and BAC Craftworkers Team Up to Imagine Community Health Centers at Masonry Camp
by International Masonry Institute on December 8, 2017 at 4:06 pm
It’s a rare opportunity that designers and craftworkers get to come together to collaborate on a project. Masonry Camp turns that opportunity into reality.
The Masonry Camp Experience
by International Masonry Institute on October 25, 2016 at 8:00 pm
As we look back on this year's Masonry Camp, the commitment and creativity of the participants stands out. Asked to design a masonry museum, and then construct an element of that design, the campers produced amazing work in a very short timeframe. […]
Masonry Camp Gallery
by International Masonry Institute on September 8, 2016 at 5:46 pm
Masonry Camp continued today with the campers moving into the studio to begin designing their projects. The design-build challenge this year is a museum that celebrates the history of masonry and the future of masonry design and innovation. As […]
Questions about the program should be directed to Roy Ingraffia, National Director for Partnerships and Strategic Initiatives, at email@example.com